This post originally appeared in 2009. I’ve updated it a little to share with you today.
When it comes to my husband, I like to give outings and experiences for gifts. There’s only so many shirts I can buy him, and he’s one of those guys who, 2 days before Christmas, buys himself that gadget he’s been wanting. I’ve found it’s safest to find something fun to do and gift him with tickets or a gift certificate instead.
10 Date-Gifts for Your Man
1. A sporting event: If tickets are too pricey or the event is too far away, find a local league to go cheer on.
2. A sporty activity: What are his interests? Take him fishing, hiking, bowling, golfing, or bike riding.
3. Manly movie and dinner: Go to see an action film, foreign language film, or whatever your husband is into. What kind of restaurant would he choose? Something loud with a game on television? Or maybe or a farm-fresh artisan place is more his style.
4. Concerts or shows: Eric took me to the symphony for my birthday one year, and it was great! Find a concert by his favorite band or a local offering of his style of music. Maybe he would enjoy a play or comedy show instead?
5. Picnic in the park: If you bake and pack his favorite foods, he’ll feel special! If he’s not into laying on a blanket for long chats, bring a fun card game or plan a nature walk nearby.
6. Retro date: Revisit the places you used to frequent when you were first dating. Reminisce about when you were a younger couple and keep the mood upbeat.
7. Plan a night in: If you’re busy, busy, your hubby might appreciate a night in. Clean the house, ship off the kids, get pretty, and cook his favorite dinner. Then set aside the whole night for whatever he wants to do. I’ve actually heard a whole group of men in a marriage group say this was their greatest desire!
8. Take him out for lunch and shopping: Yes, men like to shop. You just have to ask yourself where. Eric would love a gift card and patient wife while he browsed around Home Depot or Rockler. He’d also love a bookstore or surfing shop. What would your guy like? Gourmet foods, clothing, shoes, office supplies, electonics, video games…the list is endless!
9. Amusement park: Ride all the fast rides you can’t go on when the kids are with you!
10. Celebrate his hobbies: My mom took her train-crazy husband to a train museum. Look for: conventions, home shows, galleries, gardens, and museums featuring his special interest.
If you don’t have something specific to wrap up, like a gift card or tickets, make a certificate detailing what you’ll do. Other ideas: A brochure, a collage, an invitation, or a gift basket with items for your special day.
Be sure to arrange for childcare if needed on the special day, and even take over the driving if he’d appreciate it. That way, he won’t have to do anything but show up!
Consider his schedule. If he has to request time off of work in advance, make plans, but let him choose the date. This is when a certificate comes in handy.
Remember, it’s all about him!
Anyone have any more creative date or gift ideas? Please share!
Here is an image to pin: